HMS FLY 1776
The H.M.S. Fly was the fifth of the Swan Class of ship rigged sloop, of 25 vessels built from 1766 to 1780.
Fly, as with the entire Swan class was designed by Williams and her construction was ordered by the Admiralty on 1st August 1775 to be built at Sheerness Dockyard.
The keel was laid in January 1776 and launched on 14th September 1776.
H.M.S. Fly was commissioned mainly for convoy escort duty and dispatch duty.
She did capture a French privateer, Le Gleneur, off Portland after a long chase.
In 1800 she captured another French privateer, the Cutter Trompeur off La Hague.
Fly continued convoy duties until she foundered and was lost off New foundland during 1802.
The Swan class were unusually attractive for the class of vessel, with not only very sleek hull lines but also the unusual amount of decorations for the size of vessel.
The Swan Class measured 97’ 7” on the gun deck and displaced 300 tons.
They carried 125 officers and men and initially carried 14 guns (later 16) and 16 swivel guns.
The original plans of the Fly still exist, and on these plans the kit is drawn.
Kit includes laser cut kee, frames and decks; deck planking; double planking for the hull; metal and brass photo-etched accessories; instruction booklet; detailed plans.
Wooden pedestal and brass columns are not included.
Scale 1:64 Total Length cm 80 Height cm 60